Police ministry prepared to take action against Ntlemeza
The Police Ministry has warned the former head of the Hawks, Berning Ntlemeza, that it is prepared to take action should he attempt to reclaim his office on Tuesday.
The Police Ministry has warned the former head of Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (also known as the Hawks), Berning Ntlemeza, that it is prepared to take action should he attempt to reclaim his office on Tuesday.
Last week, the Pretoria High Court ruled that Ntlemeze be immediately removed from the position.
The ministry was responding to a report published by the City Press on Sunday, in which Ntlemeza is reported as refusing to relinquish his office, saying that only Parliament could fire him.
The ministry said that Police Minister Fikile Mbalula had fulfilled his legal obligation by firing Ntlemeza according to the Court’s ruling.
“The minister acted according to what the court said. The court pronounced Ntlemeza’s appointment as invalid,” police spokesperson Vuyo Mhaga said.
On Thursday, Minister Mbalula announced that deputy commissioner Yolisa Matakata would replace Ntlemeza as acting head of the Hawks.
The ministry expects Matakata to fulfill her mandate.
“There’s a new acting head. What Ntlemeza does or does not do doesn’t necessarily concern us,” Mhaga said.