Former Premiership player Masibusane Zongo is reportedly still in police custody as he awaits his trial for an alleged rape in 2013.
The 27-year-old was once considered one of South Africa's brightest attacking talents during spells with the likes of SuperSport United and Platinum Stars, however, continued indiscretions off the pitch have seemingly ruined a promising career.
Nonetheless, Zongo could now face extended jail time if found guilty of the crime of which he is accused. Initially he was out on bail but after breaching conditions of his release, he was arrested and placed into police custody.
Western Cape NPA spokesman Eric Ntabazalila confirmed the winger's detainment and said the trial for his alleged rape will commence on October 13.
Ntabazalila told Soccer Laduma: "I can confirm that Masibusane Zongo is charged with the rape of a 19-year-old woman in Goodwood on 9th February 2013. He was arrested on 7th March 2013 and has appeared at the Parow Regional Court.
"After his arrest, he was released on bail with the normal conditions that he must appear in court on the next court date. He breached bail conditions and a warrant of arrest was issued.
"He was rearrested and he lost his bail. Since then he has been in custody. The trial was supposed to start on 7th June 2017 but his legal representative, Advocate Noxaka, was not in court on the day and advised the court that he was going to withdraw from representing the accused.
"A new legal representative, Mr Kroukamp, came on record but requested that the matter be postponed for him to receive further particulars from the state and for him to consult with his client.
"So, he (Zongo) last appeared on 5th September 2017 at the Parow Regional Court where he pleaded not guilty. The case has now been remanded to 13th October 2017 for further trial. And he is in custody."